[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5RA Problems

Jim Unroe
Fri Jan 27 02:31:11 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 10:58 PM, Donie Allen via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:

> I should have been more specific in my request for help. I can use Chip to
> program the local Emergency Responder codes in to my device. But they still
> won't pick up any of the radio chatter.

If by "Emergency Responder codes" you mean select squelch (as in CTCSS
tones and DCS codes), then don't. If you program a receive tone/code
and the station you are listening to is transmitting a different
tone/code or no tone/code, you will not hear anything. That is how
selective squelch works.

No receive tone and no receive code always works. This can be verified
by pressing and holding the [MONI] button on the side of the radio.
Everything will be received because any programmed receive tones/codes
will be overridden. If that works, set Tone Mode to "(none)" and see
what happens.