[chirp_users] Can't program BF-888s

Ed Danaher
Sun Jan 22 14:24:46 PST 2017

I have a problem getting chirp to download from a Baofeng BF-888s. I wanted
a UHF only HT and who could resist one for $13. However when I try to
download from the radio, instantly I get the  message “An error has
occurred” There is no delay as the computer tries to connect to the radio.

I have used Chirp successfully to program a Kenwood TH-F6A and a Baofeng
UV5R and am sure the cable is seated securely. I am using the same program,
drivers, and cable and selecting the BF 888 radio from the dropdown menu. I
tried putting the radio on channel 16 per bug #1441. It didn’t help.

Before I send the radio back to Amazon, I wonder if there is something I’m
doing wrong.

Some specifics:
Desktop is iMac running OS Sierra 10.12.2
Using Chirp daily build 20170111
Wouxon cable
Radios - Kenwood TH-F6a and Baofeng UV5R work fine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed KV4MI