[chirp_users] Chirp and Baofeng radios

Jim Unroe
Sun Jan 22 05:37:46 PST 2017

On Sun, Jan 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM, Patrick Brown <n7fhb at wickenburg.net> wrote:
> I tried that too and still would not work? it works on other types of
> radios, like a KY8900 .
>
>   thank you
>
>    Patrick Brown  YCSRT 3213
>
>        N7FHB Wilhoit
>
>       SYCSRT TEAM Manager
>       http://ycsrt.org
>
> T.E.A.M = Together Everyone Accomplishes More

CHIRP does a full memory dump for the UV-5R style radios. The various
firmware versions have different memory layouts. Overwriting the
memory layout of the radio with the memory layout of another would not
be a good thing so CHIRP blocks it.

It doesn't work because you must not be doing it correctly. If you can
download from the radio and then immediately upload back to the radio
without issues, it will work. I use my UV-5R image to program all of
my other various radios so I do it all the time.

Here is a guide: https://baofengtech.com/CHIRPImport

A quick and dirty way is to just download from the radio creating a
tab compatible with the radio. Then load the source image into a
second tab. Then copy and past the channels from the source tab to the
destination tab.