[chirp_users] FM broadcast reception and Chirp

Jim Unroe
Tue Feb 7 13:59:28 PST 2017

On Tue, Feb 7, 2017 at 2:38 PM, Jim Pruitt <jpruitt67 at gmail.com> wrote:
> The current discussion brings up questions for me.  I like to insert one or
> more FM broadcast stations in the 88-108mhz US FM band.  The times I have
> inserted one of the station in a Chirp image it gets removed when uploaded
> to the radio.  Am I making the entry wrong or will it not store it in one of
> the 128 memories?
>
> Thank you.
> Jim Pruitt

You didn't say which radio? Since you mentioned 128 channels I will
assume you are referring to a Baofeng UV-5R or similar radio.
Broadcast FM is on a separate chip from the 2-way radio chip. It only
has storage of the currently selected broadcast FM frequency. In other
words, it can remember the current frequency across power cycles. The
frequency cannot be saved in any of the 2-way radios channel memories.
CHIRP can preset this value but that is all CHIRP is capable of doing
because that is all the radio is capable of doing.