[chirp_users] Chirp incorrectly defaults to Narrow band on 220 mhz amateur band.

Nigel Johnson MIEEE
Mon Feb 6 13:07:26 PST 2017

For an old fart like me, the confusion is easy to understand.

When I first got on FM (1969), we used 15kHz (36F3) deviation and the channels were 60kHz apart.

Later on, we started moving to 5kHz deviation (16F3) and we started calling that narrow-band.  There was a big discussion at repeater councils in region 2 whether to go with 20 kHz channels or 15 kHz and some places went one way, others the other!  In region 1 they use 12.5 kHz channels.  When I move dthere I have to change the master xtal in my IC900 and re-tune the PLL on 430 MHz to make the change.  Now rigs come with all channels spacings built-in.

So to people my age that is narrow band.  The commercial world, and, apparently, the amateur world in region 1, has gone one step further and is using 2.5 kHz deviation (11F3?)

We continually tell people in my city to make sure their rigs are set for wide-band, or normal FM, instead of narrow so we can hear them.  The rigs seem all to come now form the factory set for narrow.

The previous poster's idea is not practical if you have a round robin and are lisetening ot them in the mobile, since continually turning the cvolume up and down is a distraction.  Also, with a modulation index of less than 1, you no longer have the FM effect so you might as well be using AM!

I hope this helps to clear up the confusion.

73 de Nigel ve3id/g4ajq