[chirp_users] Rugged vs Baoffeng

Jim Unroe
Wed Feb 1 14:14:47 PST 2017

On Wed, Feb 1, 2017 at 1:07 PM, dbarlow_2000--- via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
> I have a Rugged RH-5R that looks to be the same radio as a Baoffeng UV-5X3.
> What I would like to know are they the same? and and if so can I use chirp
> on my Rugged? as it is not listed on the support list.
>
> Thanks

When visiting the Rugged Radio web site, it is easy to see that the
radio shown in the pictures was programmed using CHIRP. How can I
tell, you ask? It is programmed with 7 character channel names. The
Baofeng factory software only allows 6 character channel names.

Then on the Rugged Radio software page, the RH-5R has links for
Windows, Linus and Mac OS X programming software. The Baofeng factory
software is for Windows only. All three links point directly to very
old CHIRP daily versions (20150707).

My guess is that the RH-5R can be programmed using the latest CHIRP
daily build by selecting Vendor: Baofeng and Model: UV-5R. Confirm
this and I will add it to the list of of more then 41 UV-5R variants
that use these same selections.

http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/Baofeng_UV5R_Variants

Jim