[chirp_users] CW ID Broadcast

Korey Frazier
Wed Dec 20 08:44:16 PST 2017

Hi,

I work at a camp and conference center in southern New Mexico. We are
remotely located and have poor cell coverage so we utilize radios to
communicate around the camp. We have a repeater in our main office with an
antenna on top of the building and a license to use the frequency that it
broadcast at. For years we have bought our radios from a company that would
program them and then mail them to us, ready to use out of the box. For a
long time we were buying Kenwood TK-3200's and then we switched to some RCA
radios because they were a little cheaper.

Recently though we bought a pack of Baofeng BF-888S's on Amazon for WAY
cheaper than the other radios we had been buying. The guy who set our
repeater up programmed them using CHIRP and sent them to us with some basic
instructions.

The only issue we have is that our repeater broadcasts our CW ID every 30
minutes and the new Baofeng radios pick it up every time. Our old Kenwood
and RCA radios do not pick this up unless someone happens to be using their
radio during the CW ID broadcast. Other than that though the Kenwood and
RCA's never pick it up.

If there is a way, we would like to change the programming on the Baofeng
radios so that they do not hear the CW ID broadcast. Does anybody know how
to make that happen?

Neither the Kenwood or RCA radios are supported by CHIRP so we can't see
what the settings are on these radios. The cord that came with the Baofeng
radios to connect to the computer also fits the Kenwood but not the RCA.

Also, I am completely new to radios and their programming. I am just trying
to fix this one problem.

Thanks for any help

Korey