[chirp_users] sub-channel using chirp

Tom Hayward
Wed Apr 19 11:45:19 PDT 2017

On Wed, Apr 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM, Jim McIver <jdmcive at gmail.com> wrote:
> I saw a video on how to put a sub channel(for lack of a better word)
> on and FRS channel using the keypad, and wondered if there was a way
> to do it with chirp. See attached.

Some FRS radios call CTCSS a 'subchannel'. You'll need to refer to
your FRS radio manual to see if they're doing the same. There's
usually a table of tone values in the manual that correspond to each
subchannel.

Once you know the values you want, you can read about putting them
into Chirp here:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/MemoryEditorColumns#Tone-Mode
You'll probably want Tone Mode TSQL so that you only hear
transmissions on the designated 'subchannel'/CTCSS tone.

Make sure to set Duplex to "off" so that you don't accidentally
transmit. There are no radios supported by Chirp with the proper
certification for transmitting on FRS channels.

Tom KD7LXL