[chirp_users] Questions regarding packaging

Jim Unroe
Mon Apr 10 17:41:45 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 12:33 PM, David Thurstenson
<thurstylark at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I manage chirp-hg on the Arch User Repository[1], and there has been
> some discussion about how things should be packaged going forward.
>
> My main question is regarding chirpc. I'm aware that the release
> tarball (chirp-daily-20170406 as of the time of writing) does not
> currently include chirpc and it's documentation, but I'm not clear on
> why. What is the reason for it's exclusion?
>
> I ask as we are deciding whether or not to include chirpc in the
> release package. The Arch Packaging Guidelines for Python packages[2]
> strongly suggests using the setup.py installer that is released by
> upstream, and the exclusion of chirpc from this installer seemingly
> indicates that it shouldn't be included in a downstream package. Since
> some users might like the option of using chirpc, I want to include
> it, but if it's not release-worthy, I'll include it as a separate
> optional package instead.
>
> Thanks,
> David
>
> [1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/
> [2]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Python_package_guidelines

Hi David,

I can't answer your question. Sorry. But I would expect that you will
more likely find someone that can answer you question if you would ask
it on the CHIRP developer mailing list.