[chirp_users] Fwd: baofeng 82c

Jim McIver
Sun Apr 2 16:42:37 PDT 2017

Dang, thought I had it figured out. Search and Rescue in my area doesn't use any ham frequencies, just frequencies between 136-174mhz. I have 128 channels in my kenwood tk-2170 that includes a 5 county area. I'm probably looking at months to figure it out. The kenwood shows None in the QT/DQT Dec, so I don't know if I should leave the Tone to the default of 88.5. Tedious typing as I only have 17 of the 128 keyed so far and looks like I'll have to change some when I figure what might work.
thx,
-jm

From: "Jim Unroe" <rock.unroe at gmail.com>
To: "Chirp" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Sunday, April 2, 2017 4:24:11 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Fwd: baofeng 82c

On Sun, Apr 2, 2017 at 6:57 PM, Jim McIver <jmciver at lmtribune.com> wrote:
> Ok. So that means all my channels need to be TSQL if I am to be able to
> transmit and receive, if that's the only one where you can TX and RX.
> Unhiding the fields allowed me to see it was putting info in Tone and
> ToneSql even though hidden the Tone showed blank.
>
> thx,
> -jm

Not exactly. TSQL is used to TX with a particular CTCSS tone and to RX
with the same CTCSS tone. You never need to have a tone to RX so you
can receive just fine using setting Tone Mode to Tone and setting the
Tone column to the desired CTCSS tone. If you program a RX tone and
the other station does not transmit the matching (on none at all as in
the case for many ham repeaters), you will never hear anything. None
always works.