[chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

Jardy Dawson
Thu Sep 8 14:07:29 PDT 2016

None of the Baofengs are legal on FRS, GMRS, or MURS in the US.  They can either be used for Ham, which requires individuals to be licensed, illegal for business use, or if the radios are legal for Part 90 use, must be used with a business radio license from the FCC.  As was already pointed out, the business has to apply for the license and a frequency or frequencies will be assigned.  Either way, a FCC license is involved.  We will not help anyone set up on illegal uses.  I am glad you are checking for legal use on the radios.

Jardy Dawson
WA7JRD Ham Radio

Message relayed through The Senior Boston Relay Race baton pass.

On Sep 8, 2016, at 13:29, Dave Zoller <dzoller at reddevil.com> wrote:

Thank you Steve, Bob & Tom, and to all others that read & reply.

I’ve tried to do the research, but there is so much that is intuitive to you all who have worked with radios so long that is confusing to me.

If I understand you & Tom (and what I’ve read) correctly: IF the BF-888S were certified for FMS, the frequency I choose would be okay to use? But the FCC has no way of knowing the actual model of radio used?
I guess that’s a moot point though, what’s right is right and what’s not…. it just isn’t.

Thanks,
Dave

From: chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com [mailto:chirp_users-bounces at intrepid.danplanet.com] On Behalf Of Steve Wiggins
Sent: Thursday, September 08, 2016 3:18 PM
To: Discussion of CHIRP
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] Legal Frequencies?

Dave, thanks for your concern about operating in the correct frequency band for your communications needs. 467 Mhz is OUTSIDE the Amateur Radio assigned UHF portion of the radio spectrum, so you're good there. I would suggest that you look up that particular frequency on a search engine and see what results  come back to you. But, I must warn you... The spectrum in America is highly regulated, and most likely, you are operating in a portion of the spectrum that is reserved for a particular radio service. Those who are licensed for their portion of the spectrum are highly protective and don't look kindly on interlopers. I can assure you that if somebody finds an UNLICENSED operator in the spectrum, they will turn the operator in to the FCC. The penalties can be very harsh.

If I were you, I would tread very carefully, as the spectrum is monitored closely by the FCC.  So, just because a radio is capable of transmitting on a particular frequency, it has no bearing on the fact that you could be breaking the law when you key the transmitter. It's sort of like a car that can do a hundred MPH. Just because it can operate at that speed, you wouldn't want to try to do that on a city street.

I trust this helps.

Best wishes,

Steve Wiggins
AMATEUR EXTRA