[chirp_users] Radio ID tones

SenSei Kike
Thu Sep 8 06:33:29 PDT 2016

First of all...yes my bad, I did not mention the radio model..duh!

Thank you Jim...that did it! I will start tinkering with CHIRP and see what
else I can come up with.

Thank you again.

Get my best
Enrique

Sent from my mobile device On Thu, Sep 08, 2016 at 5:30 AM, Jim Unroe <
rock.unroe at gmail.com [rock.unroe at gmail.com] > wrote:
On Thu, Sep 8, 2016 at 2:23 AM, <enrique at sanchezfranco.com> wrote:
 > Hello everyone...I am new to programming radios via CHIRP; I have
 > succesfully programmed frequecies, CTCSS and offset freqs and etc...and
 > everything works fine. I have programmed freqs into memories and it all
 > works great, yet, I'd like to ID radios with DTMF tone bursts at the
 > beggining of the transmission, yet I can only "send" the tones while in
 > Frequency mode and NOT in channel/memory mode..is there a way to do this
via
 > CHIRP...I cannot even manually 'force' the radio to do it...as soon as I
 > exit the MENU mode, the radios reset the PTT-ID to 'OFF'...any ideas?
 >
 > all the best and thank you for your kind advice.
 > enrique

Enrique,

Thinks to know about your radio...

You didn't say which one of the more than 127 different CHIRP
supported radio models (by counting bullet points on the "Supported
Radio Models" list) you were trying to program. By what you wrote, I
am going to guess you are referring to a Baofeng UV-5R, a Baofeng
UV-82 or one of their many variants.

None of the settings of a memory channel can be permanently edited
 from the keypad while in MR (channel) mode. You can temporarily put
the radio into "reverse" mode by tapping the [*] key. You can
temporarily change the TX power level by tapping the [#] key.

The only settings of a memory channel that can be permanently edited
 from the keypad while in VFO (frequency) mode are the TX frequency and
either T-DCS or T-CTCS. To change any of the other 8 settings (RX
frequency, WN, TXP, R-DCS, R-CTCS, PTT-ID, S-CODE and BCL) from the
keypad, the channel would need to be erased and then reprogrammed from
scratch.

These guides cover which setting are global and in which modes they
will (and won't) work.
http://www.miklor.com/COM/UV_MenuDef.php

Things to know about CHIRP...

The CHIRP spreadsheet style memory editor only supports the settings
that are mostly common to all "ham" radios. PTT-ID and PTT-ID Code
(S-CODE) do not fall into this category.

The PTT-ID and PTT-ID Code are accessed in the Memory Properties menu.
To access this menu you can click on a memory row to highlight it and
then click on the [Properties] button at the top of the spreadsheet.
An alternate way to access this menu would be to right click a memory
row and choose "Properties" from the menu that pops up. Then in the
"Memory Properties" menu you would choose the "Other" tab to edit
these "extra" settings.

Tip: By highlighting multiple memory rows before accessing the "Memory
Properties" menu, you will be able to edit settings of multiple
memories at the same time.

I hope this helps.

To unsubscribe, send an email to
chirp_users-unsubscribe at intrepid.danplanet.com