[chirp_users] Programing beofeng uv 5x3

Eric Lanzl
Tue Sep 6 08:30:47 PDT 2016

Hello List members,
This is my first post to the list. I have a couple of questions about the use of the chirp software. I just acquired a Beofeng UV 5x3 and am learning the Chirp software.

1. I notice that the program seems to default to "cross" in the tone mode column. I was trying to figure out if one cane change several lines at once to "tone". I cannot find if this is possible so I programed each separately.

2. In the cross mode column, the program seems to keep defaulting to tone->tone despite that I saved it as tone only, Any ideas on why it does this? Is there a way to get to tone only? If one has tone selected in the tone mode column is it not putting the radio in tone squelch mode even if the cross mode column is saying tone->tone? I have not been able to find instructions on how this works.

3. I attempted to put in some skipped channels for scanning. I cannot get the program to show which ones I labeled as the skipped channels. Also when I attempted to put in skipped channels the program seems to change the tone mode and cross mode w/o my doing anything to those columns. Is there an easier way to put in skipped channels rather than each one separately?

Any help on these issues and if there is a place I can find some instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.
Eric WB9JNZ