[chirp_users] trying to put in local police frequencies

Glenn
Sun Sep 4 19:44:31 PDT 2016

All one needs to do is to put in a bogus transmit frequency for those.
Glenn
----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard B. Emerson" <pavilion at pinefields.com>
To: "Discussion of CHIRP" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 04, 2016 9:14 PM
Subject: Re: [chirp_users] trying to put in local police frequencies

Something to bear in mind - refer to the current ARRL Letter's article
concerning an individual who made false calls on police frequencies. One
of the points in the article is unauthorized possession of radios
capable of operating on law enforcement frequencies is illegal in New
York (where the offenses occurred). Thus, think carefully about loading
law enforcement frequencies into a radio capable of transmitting on
those frequencies. It's one thing to listen, it's another to even
accidentally key up.

73 de KC3DOO
Rick

On 9/4/2016 7:38 PM, Mike McRoberts wrote:
> I can't speak for the rest of the US, but in California, all of the
> County Communications centers have a low band VHF frequency they use
> for mutual aid in the event of a major disaster; such as an
> earthquake. Although seldom used, they are tested frequently.
>
> Mike
>
> Mike
> -
> about.me/kd6ftr
>

> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Tom Consodine via chirp_users
> <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
>> The 30-50 MHz band is VHF, not HF. It is commonly called VHF Low Band.
>> It is extensively used by the military and in the past was extensively
>> used for private land mobile radio. Nowdays there are not that many
>> public safety users there in many areas.
>>
>> Tom ND5Y
>>
>> On 09/02/2016 01:01 PM, Lee Houde wrote:
>>> Are you sure about that frequency? 39.82000 is a HF frequency; it is
>>> very unlikely any municipal agencies would use HF, more likely they
>>> would be using VHF, UHF or SHF. Maybe you meant 139.82000 or 439.82000?

[/trimmed]