[chirp_users] Unable to read/write Wouxon KG-UV8D

Phil - w2lie
Mon Oct 24 07:18:23 PDT 2016

Before I opened up a bug ticket, I wanted to reach out to the mailing
list to see if anyone else can direct me to a solution.

I'm attempting to program a Wouxon KG-UV8D transmitter for someone else.
I'm using the Chirp Daily Build (20161018) with a true serial cable
connection.  This cable works fine on my Kenwood and Baofeng radios, so
I'm hoping this is the same cable.  I've used this cable in the past on
older Wouxon Radios without issues.

The radio will not talk to the Wouxon software, and when I attempt to
read the radio via Chirp, I receive an error.   I'm thinking that this
is a new radio and that the firmware has changed slightly, and now Chirp
won't handshake.

The error I receive when attempting to read the radio is  "Failed to
communicate with radio: ord() expected a character, but string of length
0 found"

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
73