[chirp_users] BAOFENG UV-5R not writable by RT Systems

Rich Messeder
Sun Oct 23 17:09:23 PDT 2016

I know ;-) this is a chirp list.

Well, a ham asked for my help. He had recently purchased 2 UV-5R from the same vendor. He uses RTS, and wanted to be able to help some new hams, so he figured that he'd make their radios (those UV-5R) just like his UV-5RA. One of the radios worked OK, the other not.

I went over and tried CHIRP. It read and wrote to both the 5RA and the 5R. Then we tried with RTS. RTS would download from the UV-5R, but when it tried to upload, we got an error.

BAOFENG UV-5R type 5831FFFFFFFFF
BAOFENG UV-5R type 5804010000000

Didn't say what it expected, but I am guessing the first type code.

Tomorrow (2016-10-24), I intend to contact RTS and the radio vendor, but I figured that I'd drop a note here in case this is familiar to any of you.

BAOFENG UV-5R Version BFB297 Firmware HN5RV01 1 141006N
3+ON gives bfb297
6+ON gives 150304N ?? Not sure

Thanks,
~R~