[chirp_users] Trouble with programming ICOM IC-2200H

Glenn
Mon Nov 28 19:33:31 PST 2016

Joe,
Some folks have had trouble from either not getting the cable pushed in far enough.  Also, they say to turn the volume up all the way on the radio.
Is the battery on the radio charged enough?
HTH.
Glenn
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kamikaze Joe
  To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
  Sent: Monday, November 28, 2016 2:23 AM
  Subject: [chirp_users] Trouble with programming ICOM IC-2200H

  Was hoping I could find some help getting my IC-2200H programmed.

  I've tried downloading from the radio using a generic brand cable I bought off Amazon.
  The procedures I've tried:

  Example 1:
  1) Put my Icom in cloning mode.
  2) Select "Download from Radio" from the Radio menu in the Chirp application.
  3) Verified the Port.  Selected "Icom" as the vendor. And "IC-2200H" as the Model.
  4) Click "OK"

  Result: Before I can even hit the button on my Icom that starts sending the data, Chirp briefly flashes the "Cloning" progress bar and then throws an error of "Unexpected response from Radio".

  Example 2:
  If I repeat the above steps, but instead select "Detect" as the Model, I immediately get an error saying it can't detect the radio.  I didn't expect it to work, but I wanted to rule it out.

  Example 3:
  1) Put my Icom in cloning mode.
  2) Select "Download from Radio" from the Radio menu in the Chirp application.
  3) Again Verified the Port, Vendor, and Model as stated above.
  4) Before clicking "OK", I pressed the button on my Icom to start sending data.
  5) Then I clicked "OK" in the Chirp application.

  Result:  I tried this pressing the start button on the Icom before clicking "OK" in Chirp, and I've tried pressing them simultaneously.  This method returns an error saying "Out of sync with radio".

  I've search through the archive and see the same errors I'm seeing, but on posts that are several years old.  The responses usually recommend checking for a driver issue, but I've done that.  The cable itself seems to be functional to some degree, at least to me.  I wouldn't get the "Out of sync with radio" error if the application didn't receive anything at all, right?  While I don't have another device to test this particular cable with, I do have another cable that I use to program my Baofeng UV-82 with.  The alternate cable uses the same chip (PL2303) and therefor the same driver/module, and that works just fine.  I am able to download and program my Baofeng without any issues.  So to the best of my troubleshooting abilities, the cable doesn't seem likely.

  Additionally, the previous posts also reference Windows machines, but I am running Linux and I do not have a Windows computer at my disposal.  I am also using the chirp-daily package on my system and made sure it was updated. Currently on "CHIRP daily-20161123" at the time of this writing.

  Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

  Thanks in advance

  -Joe