[chirp_users] Trouble with programming ICOM IC-2200H

Kamikaze Joe
Mon Nov 28 00:23:36 PST 2016

Was hoping I could find some help getting my IC-2200H programmed.

I've tried downloading from the radio using a generic brand cable I bought
off Amazon.
The procedures I've tried:

Example 1:
1) Put my Icom in cloning mode.
2) Select "Download from Radio" from the Radio menu in the Chirp
application.
3) Verified the Port.  Selected "Icom" as the vendor. And "IC-2200H" as the
Model.
4) Click "OK"

Result: Before I can even hit the button on my Icom that starts sending the
data, Chirp briefly flashes the "Cloning" progress bar and then throws an
error of "Unexpected response from Radio".

Example 2:
If I repeat the above steps, but instead select "Detect" as the Model, I
immediately get an error saying it can't detect the radio.  I didn't expect
it to work, but I wanted to rule it out.

Example 3:
1) Put my Icom in cloning mode.
2) Select "Download from Radio" from the Radio menu in the Chirp
application.
3) Again Verified the Port, Vendor, and Model as stated above.
4) Before clicking "OK", I pressed the button on my Icom to start sending
data.
5) Then I clicked "OK" in the Chirp application.

Result:  I tried this pressing the start button on the Icom before clicking
"OK" in Chirp, and I've tried pressing them simultaneously.  This method
returns an error saying "Out of sync with radio".

I've search through the archive and see the same errors I'm seeing, but on
posts that are several years old.  The responses usually recommend checking
for a driver issue, but I've done that.  The cable itself seems to be
functional to some degree, at least to me.  I wouldn't get the "Out of sync
with radio" error if the application didn't receive anything at all,
right?  While I don't have another device to test this particular cable
with, I do have another cable that I use to program my Baofeng UV-82 with.
The alternate cable uses the same chip (PL2303) and therefor the same
driver/module, and that works just fine.  I am able to download and program
my Baofeng without any issues.  So to the best of my troubleshooting
abilities, the cable doesn't seem likely.

Additionally, the previous posts also reference Windows machines, but I am
running Linux and I do not have a Windows computer at my disposal.  I am
also using the chirp-daily package on my system and made sure it was
updated. Currently on "CHIRP daily-20161123" at the time of this writing.

Any further suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

-Joe