[chirp_users] Baofeng 888s cable issue

Jim Unroe
Mon Nov 21 07:58:19 PST 2016

Since I deal with many radios, I actually prefer the Prolific type
chip. It has the advantage that once a USB port is setup with the
older, compatible with all Prolific chips, driver, I can plug in any
one of my Prolific chip bases programming cables and it will always
have the same COM port assigned to it.

By default, each FTDI based programming cable gets it's own separate
COM port (something else I would have to keep track of). I know there
is a Windows registry hack that can be done so that FTDI cables will
behave the same way, but I haven't bothered since all of my radios
have at least 1 Prolific chip based programming cable and only a very
few radios have FTDI based programming cables.

Jim