[chirp_users] programming Yaesu FT2D

Robert Carter
Mon Nov 14 08:49:07 PST 2016

Many thanks for all the responses. Let me try to hit them all.

John in his response below has a BINGO and nailed my misunderstanding.
The in-the-box cable supplied with the FTD2R is apparently a USB cable
with a configured PID/VID to allow for only firmware updates to the unit
-- page 161 of the manual. This cable's configured PID/VID don't allow
it to recognize either of the Windows or Linux pl2303 drivers.

Clearly from the information posted to Yeasu's website the in-the-box
supplied cable is a Prolific chipset. However, Yeasu appears to have
tweaked the PID/VID to 'cripple' the cable and limit its use.

Coming from ground zero, the radio and manual is daunting. There are a
lot of nuances and frankly, the manual isn't well written, so I'm not
surprised that I missed the difference between a 'data' cable and a
'programming' cable.

Late yesterday, I was able to figure out how to program it via uploading
to the microSD card. But pulling the card out, loading the data to it,
then putting the microSD card back into the FT2DR is extremely time
consuming and inefficient. (And if not careful you can fat finger the
microSD card and break it or the slot. I've had to use tweezers to pull
the card out -- I can't get my fingers in grab the card.) The Yeasu
ADMS-8 software appears to have limited functionality.

Programming via the radio UI is also possible, but slow and inefficient.
But, I did 6 or 7 local repeaters yesterday.

So my next question is does the list have a recommendation on a
'programming' cable that I should get?

Has anyone updated the firmware for either the FT1D or FT2D with the
supplied cable? Any failures?

And yes, I was mistaken but I'm trying to figure this all out!

Bob
FC1FAC