[chirp_users] Uv5r and 8hp programming

Jim Unroe
Fri Nov 11 06:29:36 PST 2016

On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 7:56 AM, Mark <gingrich.ms at gmail.com> wrote:
> On a baofeng uv5r and 8hp- how do I show the assigned name to each channel to be displayed on radio. Programmed thru chirp and it shows the name but displays frequency
> Numbers on radio display . Can they be set up to show the name on channel mode -a and b--and then show the assigned frequency number to same when switched to freq
> Mode
> Also what about squelch setting I can only here rx on local weather channel band

You must set the Memory Display Format to the format that you want:
CHannel, NAME or FREQuency.

You can do this using menu 21 (MDF-A) and menu 22 (MDF-B) of the radio
or the settings within CHIRP.

Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (A):
Settings -> Basic Settings -> Display Mode (B):

So in MR (channel) mode, each display line will be formatted based on
your selections. VFO (frequency) mode only displays the frequency of
the VFOs. It has nothing to do with the channels in MR mode.

If you want to see the name and frequency at the same time, you must
set one display to NAME and the other display to FREQ and then
manually select the same channel in both displays.

It sounds like you have set Tone Mode to TSQL on channels where the
station you are listening to (probably a repeater) does not transmit a
tone. This is common for ham repeaters. If this is the case, you
should be using Tone at the Tone Mode.

Jim