[chirp_users] Cut and paste issue?

Tom Hayward
Wed May 25 21:45:44 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 6:44 PM, Rich Messeder <rich.messeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> But there is a comment below that reference data on the radio that is not accessible. This is puzzling to me. Does that mean that the data exists in the radio, but there is a flag also in the radio that says not to access that memory? Or recall it? Or tune to it? What is the point? Seems to me that if I delete a memory from the radio panel or from CHIRP, it ought to be gone. It's up to me to have a backup file if I want it...

Yes, in a few Yaesu radios, deleted (or "masked") channels are set
with a flag. I believe the design goal by Yaesu here was to allow the
opportunity to undo a delete. In addition to supporting this, Chirp
also has the capability to write zeros over the whole block of memory.
For these select few radios, Chirp supports both delete mechanisms in
a two-stage delete (as described). The goal here was to make the Chirp
support as many of the radios' features as possible, and for the
experience to be as close to the radios' interface as possible.

When a channel is masked (the first stage of the two-stage delete on
Yaesu radios), it can be unmasked from the front panel of the radio
(see the manual) or in Chirp, just click the greyed-out text to
resurrect it.

Tom KD7LXL