[chirp_users] now using Linux

Galen Thurber
Wed May 25 10:59:44 PDT 2016

here are my notes for under Linux
http://www.flightsimhq.org/radio/CHIRP_under_linux.html

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 11:58 PM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 10:47 PM, Jack Schlachter <km4tdj at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hi - I'm the one trying to use chirp with my Luiton radio. Still same
> > problem as per last post.
> > So I had an idea. I was reading about the Linux part on danplanet and
> > decided to pull out my Linux machine and give my Baofeng a try and maybe
> if
> > I can get that to work it would work on my Luiton. So I loaded chirp on
> > Linux as per instructions and everything went fine. Plugged my radio in
> and
> > got : An error has occurred; could not open port /dev/ttyS0: [Errno13]
> > Permission denied:'/dev/ttyS0'
> > So I read further on your site and ran "sudo usermod -aG dialout
> username"
> > replacing username with mine, closed chirp reopened and tried again with
> > same results. I have to admit I'm not real Linux savvy. I don't really
> > understand how you pick a port. When I click the down arrow there's a
> whole
> > list of /dev/ttyS? so I took the default chirp pulled up which is
> obviously
> > /dev/ttyS0 How do I find out which port my cable is on?
> > thanks again,
> > Jack
>
> Jack,
>
> Assuming that you have a USB programming cable, it is all the way at
> the bottom of the list.
>
> /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> Jim KC9HI

I've been on-line since late 1992. Skeptic, Secular Humanist, Bright
My computer recommendations: Puppy or Sparky Linux operating system,
passwordsafe,, Pidgin Internet Messenger, tor anonymous browsing bundle.
My information recommendations: antiwar.com therealnews.com
alternet.org quackwatch.com
samharris.org <http://quackwatch.com>
Please join my boycott of: Eastlink, Facebook,Yahoo!, Microsoft