[chirp_users] Boafeng UV-5RV2+ unable to download

Dan Jolley
Sat May 14 21:15:59 PDT 2016

Double check and make sure you are using a Genuine FTDI Cable, they cost around $20.00 at Amazon. Other "Chinese" Knock-off cables that are a lot cheaper resemble the genuine FTDI cable but they use a cloned chip (integrated Circuit) inside the cable that makes it very difficult to use, if not impossible. These are a lot cheaper than the real thing and come with a small CD written in Chinese. I started with one of these and there is a virus on the CD. I had lots of problems with it. If that is a cloned cable, every time you connect to the internet, Windows will install the latest driver and the cable will stop working or cause problems.
The correct driver for the cloned cable is 3.2.0.0, but Windows will update it to the newest driver whenever the computer is connected to the internet.

I have an UV82c, 2 BF-888s, a UV-5R and a UV-5RTP and the genuine FTDI cable works flawlessly because Windows automatically installs the newest correct driver.

Dan Jolley

      From: Eugene <enine at ninefamily.com>
 To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
 Sent: Saturday, May 14, 2016 5:01 PM
 Subject: [chirp_users] Boafeng UV-5RV2+ unable to download

I ordered a programming cable for my Baofeng UV-5RV2+ and the first time
I tried to download from the radio I got 25 channels.  Trying again only
channel 5 and 6 would show up.  I upgraded the the latest version of
CHIRP and now when I try the radio just reboots and CHIRP says an error
has occured, radio does not respond.  Did I get a bad cable?

Thanks