[chirp_users] Sainsonic GT-890 explicit remove from the UI in Chirp, and clones to the UI

Pavel Milanes (CO7WT)
Thu May 12 11:17:52 PDT 2016

Hi to all.

Please note that after approval of the new patch sent to the devel
queue, next versions of Chirp will not have the Sainsonic GT-890 listed
in the Vendor/Model listing on the chirp interface. That's just for a
unknown time frame, keep reading.

This change obey to the fact that the two variants of the Sainsonic
GT-890 known to us are a perfect clones of two variants of the QYT
KT8900, so to read/write to the Sainsonic GT-890 you must select the QYT
KT8900 instead, the wiki page on the Chirp's site was updated today to
reflect this change.

Having a clone listed side by side with a reference radio put some
challenges to the validating scripts in the devel stages and from the
developers point of view & programming paradigms it's wrong. We are
working on a solution for that, it will bring clones to visibility on
the UI in a user friendly way; a few links for the curious:

http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_devel/2016-April/003955.html

http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_devel/2016-April/003958.html

PS: After we test this new change for the clones to show in the UI for
the BTECH's and family; that trick can be expanded to other families
like the Baofeng UV-5R with it's many clones...

73 Pavel CO7WT