[chirp_users] Data Display Changes

Tom Hayward
Sun May 8 15:28:00 PDT 2016

On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 1:50 PM, Ted <tedfs3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, May 8, 2016 at 4:47 PM, Ted <tedfs3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> While upgrading from CHIRP daily 20160419 to 20160507 I noticed that
>> several fields normally populated with data are now empty in the latest
>> daily build.
>>

>> Just wondering if there was a change to not display default data in those
>> fields in the latest build ? I apologize for not knowing, I’m still very
>> new to HAM Radio
>>
>> and really haven’t had a chance to study the way CHIRP files are  written
>> for different radios. Visually, I prefer the way the 20160419 build
>> displays data as it’s
>>
>> more consistent to my eyes. Just trying to understand if those are
>> default values that are now not be displayed or if there is an error
>> somewhere.
>>

>> Thank you
>>

>> 20160419 build:
>>

>> 20160507 build:

Hi Ted,

You can read about this in the daily build announcement:

On Sat, May 7, 2016 at 12:12 AM, Build System <donotreply at danplanet.com>
wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> A new daily build of CHIRP is available.  This includes changes made
> directly to the tree yesterday, and may include additional features,
> bug fixes, and/or bugs.  If you are interested in trying it, grab it
> from the following location:
>
>   http://trac.chirp.danplanet.com/chirp_daily/daily-20160507
>

> A list of the changes included in this build (since the last daily)
> follows:
>
> Changes for Build #400
> [Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us>] [platform] Support serial port names used by
OpenBSD. #3633

> Submitted by Ted Roby:
> http://intrepid.danplanet.com/pipermail/chirp_users/2016-May/009868.html
>
> [Dan Smith <dsmith at danplanet.com>] Removed AP510 image due to #3617
>
> [Tom Hayward <tom at tomh.us>] [UI] Default "Hide Unused Fields" to enabled.
Completes #1779

> The orignal patch to add this feature missed one place the hide_unused
value
> is read from. This caused new installs to show the Hide Unused Fields box
as
> checked, but not actually enable the feature. This patch adds defaut=True
> that last remaining line of code so that this feature is enabled on the
first
> run of Chirp.

You'll notice each change has a issue number. There's a little more
information in the issue detail page
http://chirp.danplanet.com/issues/1779

It explains that approximately two years ago the behavior you describe was
set to be default. However, one spot was missed so this change had no
effect. Last week I fixed it so that it's now working as intended.

This whole time, the Hide Unused Fields box has been checked on your
install. Until last week, it was lying to you and not actually enabled. Now
it hides fields that are not applicable to your current configuration (like
a DTCS code when you're in Tone mode). You can disable this behavior with
the View > Hide Unused Fields checkbox.

Tom KD7LXL