[chirp_users] How to save/upload after sorting the CHIRP rows?

Knight, Dave
Wed Mar 23 06:23:04 PDT 2016

My point exactly, thanks!

There are many good reasons to sort channels.

Periodically, I download the channels to CHIRP for editing (it's easier
than on the HT) sorting** and printing, then upload the reorganized
channels to the HT.

FWIW, I wrote the following (bash shell script) to sort CHIRP-exported .csv
files by repeater frequency:

#!/bin/bash
#
#  sortBaofeng - sorts chirp .csv file by frequency (field 3) and renumbers
#                the lines (filed 1) for import.
#
#  FWIW, by clicking on the column name, CHIRP sorts the rows by that
column,
#  but does not renumber the rows.
#
if [ "x$1" = "x" ]
then echo "Usage: $0 <chirp_csv_filename>"
     echo "   Sorts rows by frequency and renumbers them for CHIRP import."
     echo "   The sorted and renumbered lines are written to stdout."
     exit 1
fi

IFN=$1
sort --field-separator=, -k3n,3 < $IFN | gawk -F\, '
  BEGIN{OFS=","}
  $1 != "Location"{$1 = ++n}
  {print $0 }'

and use it thus:

  1 - download radio channels to CHIRP
  2 - edit to add/remove channels as necessary
  3 - export to foo.csv
  4 - run the script (sortByFreq) on the .csv file:

         sortByFreq  foo.csv  > new.csv

  5 - print new.csv
  6 - import new.csv into CHIRP
  7 - upload channels to radio

To modify the script to sort by another column, change the "3"s in the key
(-kn3,3) to the number of the .csv column you want.

Steps 3 - 6 of this convoluted, external-to-chirp process would be obviated
if CHIRP supported options to print, save and upload the channels after
sorting.

Until then, I hope the above script & process might be useful to other
CHIRP users.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2016 at 7:52 AM, Fred Maxwell <_chirp at mail2fm.com> wrote:

> > On Mar 23, 2016, at 6:09 AM, Jim Unroe <rock.unroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 7:04 PM, Knight, Dave <diemkae at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> After clicking on a column heading to sort the chirp entries, the new
> sort
> >> order is lost on upload or save.
> >>
> >> Please advise how I can save/upload sorted rows.
> >
> > Which column are you sorting by? What would be the reason that you
> > what the channel rows not to be in the same order that they are in the
> > radio?
> >

> What I believe that Dave wants is the ability to lock the memory location
> column order and sort everything else so as to reorder how the channels
> that  will be programmed into the radio. I’ll join in saying that would be
> a good feature.
>
> A user with dozens of repeaters might want them to be programmed into the
> radio sorted by repeater Name for easy location (clockwise rotation of the
> ‘channel' knob steps through alphabetically).  Or someone with a dual-band,
> or tri-band radio might want them sorted by frequency so that the bands are
> separated into memory blocks.  Or someone might want to group all of the
> entries by Duplex to separate out repeaters from simplex frequencies.
>
> In my case, I sort by distance from my home — the higher the memory
> location number, the further from my home base station (and CHIRP does not
> support RepeaterBook queries by proximity; issue 3261).  That forces me
> into a tedious off-line process involving two RepeaterBook queries, one in
> CHIRP format CSV and one in native RepeaterBook CSV, and then going through
> contortions in a spreadsheet.  I won’t go into detail and turn this into a
> threadjacking, but it’s another example of how one might want to sort.
>
> Hope that was of some assistance in explaining what was wanted.  (Dave, if
> I screwed anything up, please let me know.)
>
> Regards,
>   Fred
>   KM4QLB

The "Safe in Church" deception: believing that calling some building a
"sanctuary" will magically deter criminal violence is a dangerous delusion!

The "Gun-Free Zone" deception: believing that a "No Guns" policy or sign
will deter criminal violence is "magical thinking" in its most dangerous
form!

In your time of need, may your piece be with you!