[chirp_users] BAOFENG UV-5Rs acting strange when programming with Chirp

Fred Maxwell
Wed Mar 16 23:53:52 PDT 2016

I disagree with the recommendation for RT Systems cables. They employ FTDI USB to serial TTL chips which have been reprogrammed with non-standard Vendor IDs and Product IDs. Their cables are no better or more reliable than any good quality cable using a standard (non-counterfeit) USB-to-serial chip. They are just a necessary evil in order to use RT Systems software and a poor choice for use with CHIRP.

From http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide_FTDI_OEM_Cables <http://chirp.danplanet.com/projects/chirp/wiki/CableGuide_FTDI_OEM_Cables> :

> Some cable vendors use the FTDI serial chip in their USB radio cables, but have changed the chip's ID codes so that the cable will not be recognized as a generic serial communications port. By default CHIRP (and some other software) will not be able to use these cables because CHIRP needs a serial port. Most notably RT Systems sells such cables.

The article at the link shown above goes on to say:

> [To] use such a cable with CHIRP there are two options. You can either get your computer to recognize the OEM cable as a generic serial port by tweaking the driver setup, or you can change the cable to use the default FTDI codes, so the standard FTDI driver present in most operating systems will recognize the cable and create a standard serial port.

The first option may “break” after an OS upgrade and the second option leaves the expensive cable unusable with RT Systems software, which was the whole reason why it cost more in the first place.  It’s even uglier under some versions of Windows and OS X; those interested in learning more can read what’s on the official CHIRP website.

I spent $6.99 on a cable for my BaoFeng handheld, $8.99 on a cable for my Kenwood TM-281 mobile, and $14.99 on a cable for my Yaesu FT-2900R mobile, all from Amazon with free one or two day shipping.  Total spent:  $30.97.  The first two use Prolific chips and the latter uses an FTDI chip.  They have worked flawlessly under OS X and Windows 10, requiring no mucking around with drivers or reprogramming of the chips embedded in the cables.  Buying RT Systems cables for those radios would have set me back $113.04 with equivalent 2-day shipping.  That’s an $82 difference — and I can think of a lot of ham-related goodies to spend $82 on.

73,
  Fred Maxwell
  KM4QLB