[chirp_users] Chirp won't work in XP with no service packs.

Jim Unroe
Sat Mar 5 17:39:14 PST 2016

On Sat, Mar 5, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Dan Jolley via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
> I apologize if this is the wrong place for such a question, but I am
> restoring an old Windows XP laptop to program my radios in Chirp and the
> official BaoFeng programming software.
>
> The original laptop (2002 Toshiba Satellite) with XP came with no service
> packs installed. Do I need to install all 3 service packs for the Prolific
> programming cable (I'm using the XP driver for the prolific cable) to work
> with Chirp? I tried it with no service packs and Chirp didn't work, it kept
> telling me to reinstall Chirp but that didn't fix it. The BaoFeng official
> software seemed to work, I just read from the radio, but did not try writing
> back to the radio. Right now I have Service Pack 2 installed and I'm gonna
> give it a try. The laptop is so old that Windows XP Service Pack 3 really
> slows down the computer drastically. The laptop doesn't have much memory or
> a very big hard drive. XP with no service packs runs real fast, but slows
> down more and more as I install the service packs. I'm going to try it with
> service pack 2 installed.
>
> I do not have it connected to the internet so I'm not worried about
> automatic Windows Driver updates to mess up the Prolific cable.
>
> I'm just curious if anyone else has tried the same thing.
>
> I've got the FTDI cable on Win10 on my home computer but there's times I
> want to experiment using the laptop so I can free up my home computer.
>
> Thanks,
> Dan Jolley

You may need the service packs. But for sure you will need to install
the Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable Package (x86)

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5555