[chirp_users] Newbe problem

Dave VK2FDJS
Tue Mar 1 15:38:23 PST 2016

You don't "download a *.img file from my radio", you download the settings
from the radio.  You then save this as an IMG file.  (Semantics, perhaps,
but it's important to know this.)

> I find no options in the Chrip program to export as a *.img file.

You don't export it, you save it.  Use File/Save As.

If you want, you can also export the channel settings to a CSV file and this
can be edited if you want to.  As others have said, this is not the
recommended way to make changes, but it can be useful for bulk inclusion of
information you already have.

> ... and then export as a *.chirp file ...

No idea why you'd do this.  You simply change the CSV file and save it back
as a CSV file.

You then open your IMG file in CHIRP and import the CSV file into it.

I suggest you become confident with CHIRP, downloading from the radio,
saving IMG files, changing information (in CHIRP), re-saving IMG files, and
uploading to the radio.

Only after you are practiced in the above should you consider
exporting/changing/importing CSV.

> ... export to an Excel *.cvs file

Important note here ... a CSV (not CVS) file is not an Excel file, it is a
text file that contains values separated by commas.  While it is true that
Excel will read/write CSV files, it does so in its own CSV format, which is
not exactly the same as the CSV format that CHIRP uses.

Regards, Dave VK2FDJS