[chirp_users] Baofeng UV-5R firmware upgrade?

Aubrey Turner
Thu Jun 2 08:28:00 PDT 2016

That site is indeed correct.  The actual firmware cannot be updated in
the UV-5R radio.

What your second link contains are a set of image files.  The image
files contain the contents of the memories and settings for the radio
(which are not the same as the firmware).

Since the image file is based on the internal storage format of the
radio, which is dependent upon the firmware level, images are NOT
compatible across firmware levels.

In the past, some people have ended up loading old images into newer
radios (and vice versa) which can end up making the radio
non-functional.  These images exist to allow people to pull in a known
good image for their firmware level in order to recover the radio if
they loaded an incorrect image.