[chirp_users] Accessing Repeaterbook from chirp

Robert Terzi
Wed Jun 1 09:02:07 PDT 2016

repeaterbook.com is free.  Anyone can submit updates.  There are volunteer
moderators for different geographic areas, such as the states in the US,
that receive and validate the update requests.  As more people use the
data, spot problems and report them, the data quality gets better.

Some areas are lacking moderators or could use additional local people
with first hand knowledge to help either by submitting updates or
becoming a moderator.  Some functionality requires you to register
with the site, but registration is free.

 From the stats, there are approximately 31,000 repeaters in the databas
world wide.  There were about 9,000 changes in the last year.

The site was originally North America only, but it has recently expanded
to handle global data.  See:

https://www.repeaterbook.com/row_repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

The repeaterbook.com query interface from inside CHIRP might have been
broken by a large amount of recent changes to the site.  If that's the
case, or you want more flexibility, the repeaterbook.com website will
generate CHIRP CSV files that are straightforward to import.

I tend to use the proximity search from the website to search within
a radius of my zip code which I then save to a CHIRP CSV.

Note: Not CHIRP related, but there are Android and iOS mobile apps
which are freely available. The apps have a db snapshot and are
handy to use when traveling since it will use the mobile device's
location to show you what repeaters are near by.  (I believe the
Android app can use bluetooth to control some mobile rigs via the CAT
control interface. I've picked up a bluetooth serial interface for
my FT-857 but I haven't had a chance to try it yet.)

Hope this helps,
--Rob

Full disclosure, I have no pecuniary interests in repeaterbook. I'm
just a user, who is also volunteers as a moderator in order to get
good quality repeater data available in my area.