[chirp_users] European characters in Windows user name

Eric Vought
Sun Jul 24 23:55:34 PDT 2016

According to this:
https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa365247(v=vs.85).aspx
NTFS stores file names internally in Unicode, but there are several
versions of the API calls to get short/long/Unicode names. So, since CHIRP
uses Unicode internally, it is likely not a matter of converting the path
to Unicode but making sure that all of the API calls catch it that way in
the first place (which should never hurt folks with only ASCII characters
in their paths).

This page (
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/10180765/open-file-with-a-unicode-filename
) has details on handling this in Python. If you explicitly pass a Unicode
strong *in* you will always get Unicode back from the call. Example with
os.listdir() at bottom.