[chirp_users] offset precision

Jim Unroe
Sun Feb 28 11:43:19 PST 2016

On Sun, Feb 28, 2016 at 2:12 PM, Adk Lover via chirp_users
<chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I've just set up CHIRP and downloaded the memory channel list from my
> Baofeng UV-5RV2+.
>
> I notice that the offsets on my saved channels are not exactly what I
> expected to see.
>
> For the channels where I have set the offset to 000.600 in the radio, it's
> showing 0.601550 or 0.599890 in CHIRP.
>
> For the channels where I have set the offset to 005.000 in the radio, it's
> showing 5.001550 or 4.999890 in CHIRP.
>
> My question is, do I need to make any changes to these offset entries before
> writing the image back to the radio?  Should I fix the entries to show the
> exact frequencies that I entered in the radio, or are the shifted
> frequencies correct?
>
> As a side note, I see that the default offset for channels that I have not
> set up are exactly 0.600000.
>
> I'm afraid to write an image back to the radio that could cause a problem so
> I thought it would be best to check first.
>
> Thanks.
> Ed

CHIRP is showing you the frequency that has been manually programmed
into the radio. This is a bug in the radio when programming manually.

These radios don't use offsets in memory channels and in some firmware
versions the TX frequency is calculated incorrectly when using
"reverse mode" to determine the TX frequency.

If you want the manually programmed TX frequency to be correct, then
use to old method where you write the RX frequency to an empty
channel, then enter the TX frequency into the VFO yourself and write
it to the same channel.

If you correct this with CHIRP, then it will be correct in the radio.