[chirp_users] Chirp won't read CSV files correctly

Tom Hayward
Sat Feb 27 21:32:08 PST 2016

On Sat, Feb 27, 2016 at 7:52 PM, Chris Nordstrom <cfnordstrom at gmail.com> wrote:
> Right, well as I've said, when you create generic CSV file from Chirp and go
> look at it, it still contains all the empty fields and the extra commas at
> the end of the row.  So....

The "extra" commas are a critical, required part of the Chirp CSV format.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you need Excel in the first
place. It sounds like you are a relatively new user of Chirp, yet
using third party software to edit Chirp files is arguably one of the
most advanced things you can do with Chirp. As you've found, it
requires understanding the specific details of the file formats and
any errors that might be introduced by specific third party editors. A
lot of effort has been put into the built-in Chirp editor. It supports
copy, paste, inserting rows, removing rows, populating safe default
values, automatic repeater offsets for various band plans around the
world, bulk row editing (i.e., setting power level to high on 20
channels at once). What is missing from Chirp that drove you to an
external editor? I'm not implying there are no valid uses of external
editors--indeed, this is one of the benefits of using CSV
encoding--but most of the time it just makes things more difficult.

Tom KD7LXL