[chirp_users] Chirp won't read CSV files correctly

Chris Nordstrom
Fri Feb 26 21:15:39 PST 2016

This is the error I get when importing or opening my CSV file:

I'm using a file that was generated by Chirp using the export function,
then (In Excel) I copy/paste my channels into that CSV file.  When
opened in Chirp using either File/Open or File/Import, same errors every
time.

So, a little experimentation and I discover that it doesn't like the
empty columns to the right (where there is a column heading but nothing
in the column).  So I deleted the column headers (that Chirp created!)
for the columns with no data and voila, it got past that error.  Now I
get this one:

The new error about line 33 "[rTone] could not convert string to float"
I generally get what this error means but don't get what exactly is
causing it.  And why does it reference line 33 and only import up to
memory channel 25?  I notice at the top of the memory list window is an
item called "Memories Memory Range" where the default entries are 1 to
25.  Bingo!  I changed the top end to 39 and it imported all the rows in
my CSV file.  Wow, I know, there is a disclaimer about how you guys are
good at programming and not so much at documentation.  Not sure I agree
with that  and the documentation part seems like a cop out.

I can't say never, but rarely have I encountered a program so
unintuitive and persnickity.  I know, I know, it's free, what do I want
for nothing.  I guess I need to lower my expectations.

Chris Nordstrom