[chirp_users] baofeng cable

Dan Jolley
Sat Feb 20 12:02:40 PST 2016

Sorry to hear about your problem. I don't know about the other cables, but the FTDI cable I purchased at Amazon for $20 definitely works with Windows 10 and works great with Chirp and the original programming software from BaoFeng for my BF-888's, my UV-5R and my UV-5RTP.
Amazon.com : PC03 FTDI Authentic Genuine USB Programming Cable for BaoFeng, Kenwood, Wouxun, AnyTone : Electronics

|   |
|   |  |   |   |   |   |   |
| Amazon.com : PC03 FTDI Authentic Genuine USB Prog...Genuine FTDI Chipset - Works with the latest Windows, Mac OS X, and Linux Drivers If you are tired of messing with the "counterfeit prolific chips" in the 'other' c... |
|  |
| View on www.amazon.com | Preview by Yahoo |
|  |
|   |

      From: Lreiher <lreiher at comcast.net>
 To: chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com
 Sent: Saturday, February 20, 2016 12:47 PM
 Subject: Re: [chirp_users] baofeng cable

folks, thank you all for your efforts to help me out.  the reality is
that BENTON seems to have it correct. the cable i purchased was directly
from baofeng. i believe that the source was china b/c when i wrote them
they told me i bought it 14 mo.s ago and that it was listed as 'works w/
win vista, win7, win 8' and was never listed as for win 10. i pointed
out that win 10 did not exist when i bought the cable!  clearly, they
have used a CLONE of the ftdi chip and, as benton noted, the drivers
which FTDI loaded into my PC w/o my knowledge or permission was designed
to send TRASH to my cable and render it inoperable! i proved that by
using a friend's cable and it worked fine w/ my UV-5RTP; but, my cable
on HIS pc is useless. the device mgr sees the cable but does NOT get
thru it to see the radio.  i asked baofeng if tthey would write code to
FIX the cable since it is their shared fault for using a clone in the
first place. they didnt respond to that message.  now, i have reviewed
about 15 programming cables; all - EXCEPT one - are less than $6; oNE is
$20 and it is marked 'genuine FTDI cable'.  so, i kknow that i could
resolve this for 20 bucks. but i am pissed that FTDI trashed something i
purchasedd in good faith FROM the manufacturer!!
so, i was hoping someone had the expertise to write code to send to my
cable to make it functional again.

thanks again to you all for your input; however, i'm afraid that i'm
still out in left field.............
peace,
larry
KD9AVZ