[chirp_users] baofeng cable

Jim Unroe
Thu Feb 18 15:20:30 PST 2016

On Thu, Feb 18, 2016 at 4:03 PM, Lreiher <lreiher at comcast.net> wrote:
> is there any chance that someone is able to write the s/w necessary to
> [in WIN 10] DELETE the FTDI driver which renders the baofeng cable
> inoperative AND write the s/w which would REenable the baofeng cable
> after FTDI has trashed it so we can use it w/ CHIRP and WIN 10? tnx,
> larry  KD9AVZ

When you say "the boafeng cable", do you mean the programming cable
manufactured for Baofeng and has a Baofeng label? If you do, it has a
counterfeit Prolific type chip. It doesn't use FTDI drivers. All you
have to do to make it work is to download, install and select the
Prolific v3.2.0.0 driver that was released back in 2007.

When you say "the baofeng cable", do you mean the Kenwood style 2-pin
programming cable that fits Kenwood, Wouxun, Baofeng and many other
radios? If you do, all you need to do is purchase a programming cable
with a genuine FTDI chip and no driver will render it inoperative.
There are plenty of sources, Baofeng Tech (a Baofeng radio dealer
based in the USA not to be confused with Baofeng the radio
manufacturer based in China).