[chirp_users] macOS Sierra 10.12, blank window

Elliott Cable
Sun Dec 11 02:29:04 PST 2016

Hi! Elliott, KL4JC here; I've got a few things:

 - I've installed the KK7DS Python Runtime as required; it'd be really
   nice if some more information about this were included on CHIRP's
   pages. If nothing else, a link to an informational page about this
   package itself is an absolute minimum. (Having me install a `.pkg`
   with no explanation as to why? Please, no!) ... especially as Google
   yields effectively nothing (except my own query to the Homebrew
   issue-tracker from years ago, hah!)

 - I want to note that the (surprisingly up-to-date!) “macOS tips page”
   is, unfortunately, suddenly out-of-date again: there is a new GUI
   for *properly* authorizing unsigned apps, as of macOS Sierra 10.12.1:

   1. Attempt to run the app, accept the denial;
   2. open the “Security & Privacy > General” System Preferences pane;
   3. and there will be a new, temporary modal specifically providing
      the opportunity to whitelist the most-recently-denied unsigned app
      (i.e. CHIRP):

      ![System Preferences prompting CIRP](http://ell.io/icpTv+)

   That should be a little more user-friendly, not to mention more
   secure, than having users undertake fragile command-line whitelisting
   of the entire directory! (=

 - Finally, and my main reason for writing in ... unfortunately, trying
   to run `chirp-daily-20161208.app` is not showing much in the way of
   success, for me. I simply get a blank window, as follows:

   ![blank CHIRP window on OS X](http://ell.io/i4cfS+)

   Anybody have any idea why I might be seeing this, or how to remedy it
   without booting into Windows? /=

⁓ ELLIOTTCABLE — fly safe.
  http://ell.io/tt