[chirp_users] Chirp and the volume control

Jim Unroe
Mon Aug 22 17:15:48 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 22, 2016 at 7:46 PM, Ken <ken at wa0sbu.com> wrote:
>    I'm curious, why does Chirp advise you on Baofengs "(volume may need
> to be set at 100%)"?
>

> Ken

In 4+ years I have been programming these radios I have only turned
the volume up enough to get them powered on. These radios are
programmed digitally using serial communications. The programming
cables that I have don't even have wires for the speaker audio or mic
audio. The volume level should not make any difference.

That being said, someone insisted that it clearly made a repeatable
difference for them. Volume low = unreliable cloning. Volume high =
reliable cloning. Maybe something in the volume settings of these
cheap radios affects the TTL levels of the serial communications.
Setting the volume to high shouldn't hurt anything (the internal
speaker is disconnected) so I reluctantly added "(volume may need to
be set at 100%)".