[chirp_users] Programming cables

Richard B. Emerson
Wed Aug 17 21:27:00 PDT 2016

Um... given the Prolific chip is well named - for being prolific with
problems - a bogus Prolific chip isn't likely to improve matters. The
FTDI chip's track record is much better. Again, a knockoff is probably
only useful as a paperweight, and even that's questionable. As I said
earlier, know who you're dealing with. It limits money wasted, and
heartburn dealing with substandard parts.

Let me clarify an earlier point: ignoring eBay sellers is a case of
cutting of your nose to spite your face. Certainly I'd be very
suspicious of some sellers, those with a number of complaints, or those
with almost no score history, for example. OTOH, I needed a vary
specific LiON battery that was sold only by Chinese sellers. I made a
$10 bet I'd get what I needed and won the bet. Whether it's an  online
store, a bricks and mortar store, or an auction site: 1) if it's too
good to be true, it is, 2) if you don't ask, you won't know, and 3) if
you do know, hedge the bet anyway (e.g., warranty, right of return).

73 de KC3DOO
Rick