[chirp_users] New member with a couple questions

Glenn
Sun Aug 14 21:25:00 PDT 2016

Hi,
My name is Glenn, I live in Nebraska.
I have a UV-5R, and my son has a BF 8HP by Baofeng.
I should mention that I am using Chirp on computers with a screenreader for the visually impaired.
One computer is running Windows 7, and the other is running Ubuntu 16.04.
I tried to connect the BF8HHP to my Ubuntu with the hopes of uploading all my programming from my 5R to it, and I keep getting the message:

an error has occurred
failure to communicate with radio
serial object has no attribute
 'setTimeout'

I am using USB0 with a Baofeng cable.

So with this issue, I switched to doing this on my Windows computer, but I don't like that much, because it is quite difficult using the program with a screenreader in Windows.
But I successfully exported my 5R to a CSV file.
Then I connected the 8HP and imported the 5R file, and then tried to upload it to the 8HP, and in the radio list, the make and model selections are grayed out, and it only shows the UV-5R.
I tried to proceed with the upload anyway, but it would not let me.
This is the steps for this procedure in the on-line help, even for two different radios.
Maybe I missed something?

Thanks for any assistance.

Glenn