[chirp_users] Introduction & Question

Richard B. Emerson
Mon Aug 8 18:08:15 PDT 2016

Er, this probably very off-topic so I'll be brief: I use HF, not VHF,
and a SCS P4 DR-7800 modem. Remember I'm trying for reliable comms well
away from line-of-sight stations. I'll be happy to talk about what
little I've learned, the shack, and antenna/ground setup. PM me, please.

If RM-11708 (allowing faster symbol rates) makes its way through the
FCC, P4 will be legal for US hams. I use RMS Express, which, IMNSHO, is
pretty darn good and not as hard to set up as some suggest.

I suspect that the modem has little chance of working with most VHF/UHF
radios. The issue is a mix of keeping audio input/output straight, and
keying the transmitter. I guess something could be homebrewed.

I'm not sure of the legality. Probably it's OK, and (relying on my hazy
recollection of exam questions) even P4 may be OK. But you didn't hear
that from me.

HTH

73 de KC3DOO