[chirp_users] Introduction & Question

Jim Unroe
Mon Aug 8 14:52:41 PDT 2016

On Mon, Aug 8, 2016 at 5:37 PM, Richard B. Emerson
<pavilion at pinefields.com> wrote:
> Hello - I'm new to 2m and just started groping my way into what I need
> to know. I've held a General ticket for a couple of years. However, my
> main interest is PACTOR comms via Winlink while aboard our sailboat (/MM
> or /C6A). We've been to the Bahamas few times; having Winlink to back up
> other options is great.
>
> I inherited a Baofeng UV-5RE Plus from a friend, sadly SK. At this point
> I'm able to program the radio, etc. My biggest concern is a way to
> organize the entries. That is, being NW of Philadelphia, I want the 2m
> repeaters for the counties/areas I'm most likely to be in. So far, so
> good. Repeater Book is my friend. But! Is there some way to tag a
> cluster of calls with at least the country name in some form? I guess I
> could add a two letter code to the back of each call, but if I'm missing
> a useful option...?
>
> 73 de KC3DOO
> Rick Emerson

Hi Rick,

You are limited to 7 characters because that is the maximum that the
radio supports for channel names. You may have to use the callsign
suffix followed by whatever "code" you come up with. You might even
have to insert a "V" or "U" for the callsigns that have repeaters on
both VHF and UHV bands.