[chirp_users] Baofeng UV6S83

David McGuire
Sat Aug 6 10:06:49 PDT 2016

Hi Marcus. I received a few attachments with a lot of numbers.

On Sat, Aug 6, 2016 at 3:51 PM +0100, "Marcus van Dam" <marcus at marcusvandam.nl<mailto:marcus at marcusvandam.nl>> wrote:

Hi,

I recently bought a Baofeng UV-6 at the 409shop, which I all exited
hooked up and figured out that it gave the dreaded 'Radio did not
respond' and 'Refused to clone' messages.

After some digging and comparing to the Baofeng windows tool
(UV6UV7_CPS) I found the following;

When you try to read the radio with Chirp, the magic is send (50 bb ff
20 12 08 23 00), the ACK is received, 0x02 is send, and from here, Chirp
seems to expect 8 bytes of data as ident (ident = serial.read(8)), but
looking at the serial traffic of the BF software, the radio sends 12
bytes (AA 01 01 36 01 74 01 04 00 05 20 DD).
As Chirp only read 8, the next write and read will not return the
expected results and the clone fails.

I tried to increase that initial ident read size in Chirp to 12 bytes
(ident = serial.read(12)), which got me to the "Incorrect 'Model'
selected" error, saying in the debug, that the model is actually '  Ver
UV6S83 '.

In a desperate attempt I added "UV6S83" to the array "BASETYPE_UV6",
which allowed Chirp to read the data, but in the end it could not make
sense of the content.

This is where my debug skills ended and I hope your expertise comes in.

I have attached a couple of captures to this email;
UV6S83-CHIRP_8bytes-ident.txt = Chirp, all default trying to read the UV-6
UV6S83-CHIRP_12bytes-ident.txt = Chirp, modified the ident length and
added the basetype as an UV-6
UV6S83-UV6UV7.txt = Original Baofeng software doing a full dump.

The modified Chirp dump contains an interesting snippet in the first
memory block: BAOFENG UV-5R ..  Ver  UV6S83
Would the have build a Frankenstein device?

Let me know if there is anything I can do to help debugging.

// Marcus