[chirp_users] chirp-daily-20160419-win32: Downloading from Icom T8A

Tom Hayward
Thu Apr 28 10:23:23 PDT 2016

On Thu, Apr 28, 2016 at 8:55 AM, Rich Messeder <rich.messeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> 1. CHIRP did not get names, and that is an important bit of info for me...I thought that I read that the first thing to do with a "new" radio is download from it, then use that to develop further. I don't know how to add names, and don't know how to get CHIRP to download them. I've been tossing the download, but could save it and send it to someone...don't want to spam the list with uninteresting files.

Interesting... The model support matrix confirms what you're seeing --
Chirp doesn't read the names on the T8:
http://chirp.danplanet.com/download/0.4.0/Model_Support.html

I'm not sure why the original developer neglected to add names. It
might not be too hard to add support. Send me your .img file off-list
and I'll take a look.

> 2. RTS shows me 4 tabs in its program: call, limit, memories, VFO. I have saved them as csv files. They represent the configuration of the T8A, not just the memories: scan edges, scan groups, etc.

As mentioned above, Chirp has various levels of support for each
radio. Basic support is frequencies and tones only, and there are
varying degrees of support beyond that depending on what the original
developer cared to include. It would be nice to have the time to
support every feature of every radio, but I'll take being able to
copy/paste a frequency+tone over nothing at all.

Tom