[chirp_users] chirp-daily-20160419-win32: why does it insist on certain defaults?

Tom Hayward
Mon Apr 25 12:32:26 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM, Rich Messeder <rich.messeder at gmail.com> wrote:
> I changed the I changed the tone mode to (None) and set the PL tone to the one I desired. When I need the PL tone, all I need do is enable Tone and ToneSql, and the PL tones are already set.

I agree, this is a great feature of many Yaesu, Kenwood, and Icom
radios, but it's simply not possible on the UV5R.

> OTOH, you said "the tone field is a combination of multiple Chirp fields (Tone Mode +...". Maybe that is why things must change, and I have to learn what that means.

The UV5R's internal memory structure does not have "Tone Mode" and
"Tone" value fields, like most other ham radios do. Instead, it has
only two fields: rxtone and txtone. To activate a transmit tone, the
tone's value it stored in the txtone field. To turn off tones, zero is
written to this field. So when you set Tone Mode off, the tone value
you previously programmed is overwritten by zeros. This is just how
the radio is designed--unfortunately there's no way around it.

Tom KD7LXL