[chirp_users] chirp-daily-20160419-win32: why does it insist on certain defaults?

Rich Messeder
Mon Apr 25 11:09:24 PDT 2016

Good morning...er, I guess that it is now after noon here...

I see now that I forgot to intro my "new" radios. I have just joined a group that is using the Baofeng UV-5RTP for the group radio, to simplify group support. Unfortunately, it seems that tech skills are not high in this group...they are looking for someone to help with programming the radios. I want to come up speed on the radios and CHIRP (as well as VIP, I suppose, though I don't know yet what it does). Not only will I be a help to the group, but I can then educate them. Knowledge is power ;-)

I have many years of experience with ham and programming radios, though by no means consider myself an expert.

The Baofeng radios seem pretty good, and the value for the price makes it a good group radio.

Thanks to Tom's hint, I discovered what Jim later confirmed, and that is that though I had View > Hide Unused Fields checked, I had to toggle it off and on to see the effect. That effect /did/ makes some things more clear. While I was visiting the View menu, I saw Smart Tone Modes, and imagining myself smarter than a computer program, I cheekily checked that off, too.

//That// stopped CHIRP from messing with my edits, and I may well find that it will make the other mysterious effects vanish, too.

I am now able to edit the fields and have them "stick".

I appreciated comments from Jock KC6IIH. I do, however, know about simplex and repeater ops (kindly meant here, Jock...I thank you for taking the time to reply, as you do not know my knowledge level). I was specifically addressing the (to me) mysterious behaviour that I saw. Changing [this] made [that] change, and though I could see some thought behind it, I want a program that will do what I want. If I stick a value in a field, whether someone else would choose the same value or not, I want it to stay.

It will be a day or so before I get another chance to program and test the UV-5RTP. I'll post my success or failure ;-)

Thanks to all who responded so quickly.

~R~
NE1EE