[chirp_users] BaoFeng UV-82C and CHIRP power question

Dan Jolley
Sun Apr 24 13:39:14 PDT 2016

Thanks for all the info everyone, I've learned a lot since I asked those questions. I apologize if things got stirred up a little bit, that was not my intention.
I'm new at this, and after purchasing a few cheap Chinese radios from Amazon I have since learned they are not legal to use in the states. I went to the FCC website and read the same things all of you have told me.

Thank you for telling me what I should have known before I bought those radios. My next radio won't be a cheap Chinese radio :-)

Thank you all very much,Dan Jolley

      From: Dan Jolley via chirp_users <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
 To: "chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com" <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>
 Sent: Sunday, April 24, 2016 7:28 AM
 Subject: [chirp_users] BaoFeng UV-82C and CHIRP power question

I have a UV-82C and I can only select either 1Watt or 5Watt output using CHIRP or the factory programming software.
Is there some way using CHIRP (or other means) to select 2Watts for MURS or 500mW for FRS frequencies 8 through 14?
I'm pretty sure the answer will be "no" because I know the power output selection is embedded in the firmware in the radio.
Is there an antenna that will reduce the power output without damaging the radio?

Thank you for any information on this subject,Dan