[chirp_users] new important message

Dan Smith
Tue Apr 19 12:42:51 PDT 2016

> I hope that email addresses from which spam are sent are immediately
> banned.  If a computer has been compromised by spammers, the person who
> owns that computer isn’t smart enough to sit with us at the grown-up table.

This is off topic, so let's not go any further on it, but just for your
information:

The person that sent the mail is not the person that was compromised.
Most of these sorts of "click this link" spams are coming from someone
*other* than the sender who is compromised. Something bad gets on a
machine, combs through the address book, and sends email _to_ a bunch of
people in there, _from_ one of the people in the book, none of which is
the violated person. Thus, people receive an email from someone they
expect/trust and are more likely to open it.

The problem really lies in the ISP of the violated person, which allows
sending email from any random unrelated and unconfirmed email address
through their servers. That is not something either the violated person,
nor the unviolated apparent sender can do much about.

So, no, those people aren't banned from the list immediately because it
doesn't make sense. You wouldn't want me to ban you from the list if a
friend of yours got a virus that sent a mail as you through
poorly-managed ISP mail servers right?

Indeed, this email appeared to come from shaw.ca, but in fact the
headers indicate it came from somewhere else:

> 	(using TLSv1 with cipher ADH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
> 	(No client certificate requested)
> 	by intrepid.danplanet.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 625AD24F8B
> 	for <chirp_users at intrepid.danplanet.com>;
> 	Tue, 19 Apr 2016 04:41:47 -0700 (PDT)

I also don't think it's necessary for people to reply to these on the
list and report them as spam. It just creates more noise for the 2000+
people on the list here, and most of them are running spam scanners anyway.

In fact, the people that click on random links in emails for no reason
are the ones that propagate these sorts of issues, so let us leave the
fault with them and not make a big deal about it, okay? :)

Thanks!

--Dan